Fairfax County Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team Annual Report Released
The Fairfax County Domestic Violence Fatality Review Team (DVFRT) has released its 2013 Annual Report. The report reveals the findings and recommendations from the DVFRT's review of 2010 domestic violence-related homicides in Fairfax County. Highlights of the report include:
- In 2010, domestic violence was the leading cause of homicide in Fairfax County (7 of 16 total homicides, 44%).
- Four (57%) of the domestic violence-related homicides involved a firearm as the fatal agent. Two (29%) of the homicides involved strangulation.
- One murder (14%) involved two children who were present (within the vicinity of the murder) during the homicide. Another murder involved a child who was killed by her father after the father had killed her mother.
- Four of the seven homicides (57%) involved bystanders – people whom either directly heard threats to kill or knew about ongoing violence in the relationship but felt they could not intervene.
Download the DVFRT 2013 Annual Report.
Support the New DV Family Law Partnership
The DV Network, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, the George Mason School of Law Foundation and DVAC are collaborating to develop a family law partner to be located at DVAC. Please click here for more information and to learn how to make a donation to this important effort!
New Fact Sheets Collection from the DV Network
Check out this compilation of informative fact sheets from the DV Network's Coordination Committee. Click here for the pdf file, which can be printed as a booklet or as individual sheets on different topics.
DVPPCC 2013 Annual Report Released
Click here for the Fairfax County DVPPCC 2013 Annual Report.
- The DV Network will next meet on July 15, 2014 from 10-12 in conference room 2/3 of the Fairfax County Government Center.
- The DVPPCC (Domestic Violence Prevention, Policy, and Coordinating Council) will next meet on Thursday, July 17, 2014 from 7:30am to 9:30am at the Massey A Level Conference Room.
- SAVE THE DATE: The DV Community 3rd Annual Meeting will be held on Monday, October 6th from 8am to 12pm. More information coming soon!
- The Asian/Pacific Islander Domestic Violence Resource Project (DVRP) is hiring a temporary Case Manager with Urdu-language proficiency. Please email your resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and at least 3 references to email@example.com.
- Shelter House is hiring a Case Manager for their Domestic Violence Supportive Housing program. Please visit: http://www.shelterhouse.org/Get-Involved/Employment.html for more information. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Stephanie.White@shelterhouse.org.
- The Virginia Partnership for Community Defined Solutions to Sexual and Domestic Violence is asking professionals to take a 10 minute survey to help improve our systems’ coordinated response to victims from underserved populations. Please click here and enter the password: solutions (case sensitive).
Trainings and Events
Ongoing groups: The Compassion Training for Couples in Conflict (not intended for couples who have already experienced violence) is held on Thursdays from 6:30 – 8:30pm at the Government Center, Suite 339. Please contact Sonia Valenzuela (703-324-9484 or Sonia.Valenzuela@fairfaxcounty.gov) for more information.
July 2, 2014 – September 17, 2014: Fathers in Touch parenting classes will be held on Wednesdays from 6:30 – 9:00pm at the Southgate Community Center in Reston. For more information and to refer clients, please call Champana Bernard at 703-324-3611.
July 7, 2014: Working Together – What Attorneys and DV/SA Experts Can and Should Expect from One Another webinar will be held from 3-4:30pm. Visit here to register.
July 10, 2014: DV Network’s Tier Two training on Understanding and Responding to Polyvictimization will be held from 9am to 12pm in the Government Center’s Conference Room 2/3. No registration is required.
July 15, 2014: BWJP’s Understanding the Sword and Shield of Technology webinar will be held from 3-4:30pm. Click here to register.
July 15, 2014: A Basics of Advocacy with LGBTQ Survivors of Abuse webinar will be hosted by the Northwest Network from 3 – 4:30pm. Visit https://bwjp.ilinc.com/perl/ilinc/lms/register.pl?activity_id=pcmtvwp&user_id= to register.
July 21 – 23, 2014: The Action Alliance is sponsoring a three-day Advocacy Core Training with the National Domestic Violence Hotline at the University of Richmond. Register here: http://tracking.etapestry.com/t/28192341/1061596758/59492623/0/37863/.
July 30, 2014: Caring for Others While Caring for Ourselves webinar hosted by the National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma, and Mental Health. Register here for the 3-4:30pm webinar. .
August 6-7, 2014: The National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project will host Creative Solutions to Strengthen Advocacy Options and Healing for Immigrant Survivors conference in New Orleans. Visit http://www.niwap.org/conference/new-orleans.php for more information and to register.
August 11, 2014: BWJP is hosting a webinar entitled Best Practices and Help-seeking Obstacles – Law Enforcement and Advocacy webinar from 2-3:30pm. Visit http://conferences.bwjp.org/webconferencedetail.aspx?confid=384 to register.
August 12-14, 2014: BWJP is hosting a conference entitled Strategies for System and Program Accountability with Domestic Violence Offenders in San Diego, CA. For details and registration, visit: http://conferences.bwjp.org/conferencedetail.aspx?confid=78.
August 28-29, 2014: The 6th Annual Historic Triangle Conference on Crimes Against Women is being held in historic Williamsburg, VA. The conference includes a range of workshops and speakers that represent best practices in the field, along with new and exciting approaches to prevention of violent crimes, as well as serving victims and society in general. For more information and to register, visit http://www.cpe.vt.edu/ccaw/registration.html.
September 27, 2014: Save the date for Legal Services of Northern Virginia’s 34th Anniversary Gala, held at Westwood Country Club in Vienna from 7pm to 11pm. For more information and sponsorship opportunities, contact Raquel Colon: 703-778-6803 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 1, 2014: EVAW International is hosting a webinar on the Neurobiology of Sexual Assault from 1 – 2:30pm. Visit http://www.evawintl.org/WebinarDetail.aspx?webinarid=1009 to register.
November 19 – 21, 2014: Save the date for the Virginia Victim Assistance Network’s 2014 Victims’ Issues Conference at the Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront. A detailed agenda, hotel information and registration will be posted soon at www.vanetwork.org.