Support the New DV Family Law Partnership
The DV Network, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, the George Mason School of Law Foundation and DVAC are collaborating to develop a family law partner to be located at DVAC. Please click here for more information and to learn how to make a donation to this important effort!
New Fact Sheets Collection from the DV Network
Check out this compilation of informative fact sheets from the DV Network's Coordination Committee. Click here for the pdf file, which can be printed as a booklet or as individual sheets on different topics.
DVPPCC 2013 Annual Report Released
Click here for the Fairfax County DVPPCC 2013 Annual Report.
- The DV Network will next meet on March 18, 2014 from 10-12 at the Massey A Level Conference Room (4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax VA 22030).
- The DVPPCC (Domestic Violence Prevention, Policy, and Coordinating Council) will next meet on Thursday, April 10, 2014 from 7:30am to 9:30am at the Massey A Level Conference Room.
- SAVE THE DATE: The DV Community 3rd Annual Meeting will be held on Monday, October 6th from 8am to 12pm. More information coming soon!
- Shelter House is hiring an assistant director for their 24-hour domestic violence shelter, Artemis House. Please see the job description for details, including how to apply.
- Kathy Prudden, a private therapist in northern VA with an art therapy specialty, and the Office for Women & Domestic and Sexual Violence Services are soliciting artwork from survivors of sexual and/or domestic violence for a display later this spring in Seattle at the annual EVAWI Conference. Consider encouraging clients, sponsoring groups, or talking with others who might be interested in participating in this project. This flyer details the project with its goals and guidelines. Please contact Kathleen Kelmelis (703-324-2285) or Kathy (contact information on flyer) for additional information.
Trainings and Events
March 6, 2014 (English) and March 13, 2014 (Spanish): The Compassion Training for Couples in Conflict (not intended for couples who have already experienced violence!) will begin on Thursdays from 6:30 – 8:30pm at the Government Center, Suite 339. See the Spanish flyer or the English flyer. Please contact Sonia Valenzuela (703-324-9484 or Sonia.Valenzuela@fairfaxcounty.gov) for more information.
March 13, 2014: DV Network’s Tier Two training will be held from 9a.m. to 12p.m. in the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Room 9/10. March’s training will focus on multicultural awareness.
March 13, 2014: What Everyone Who Works with [Sexual Assault] Victims Needs to Know About Offenders webinar at 2:00pm. Register here.
March 17-19, 2014: DCJS is hosting the 2014 Campus Safety and Violence Prevention Forum in Portsmouth. Register here.
March 19, 2014: Trauma-Informed Care Part 2: the Nuts and Bolts of Immigration Story Writing Intervention webinar will be held from 2-3:30pm. Register here.
March 24, 2014: Start of a series of three webinars on Neurobiology of Trauma (Note: these webinars are not free). Please register here.
March 29 – 30, 2014: Peaceful Families Project is hosting a 2-day Domestic Violence Workshop for Imams in Herndon. Register here.
April 3, 2014: Shelter House is hosting Creating New Beginnings: Benefit Breakfast for Family Homelessness and Domestic Violence from 7:30am to 9am at the Westwood Country Club (800 Maple Avenue E, Vienna, VA). Please visit their website for more information and to register.
April 6, 2014: The Fairfax County Police Department’s Victim Services Section will again launch National Crime Victims’ Rights Week with its 2nd Annual 5K Walk/Candlelight Vigil. The event will kick off at 4:30 with registration, followed by guest speakers and the 5K. A candlelight tribute to crime victims and survivors will be held immediately following the 5K.
April 10, 2014: DV Network’s Tier Two training will be held from 9a.m. to 12p.m. in the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Room 9/10. Topic TBD.
April 22-24, 2014: EVAW International’s Conference on Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, and Human Trafficking.
May 28-30, 2014: Save the date for the Virginia Coalition for the Prevention of Elder Abuse 20th Annual Conference. More details coming soon at: http://www.vcpea.org/.
June 12-13, 2014: Reduce the Risk: Strangulation Prevention Conference and Law Enforcement and Prosecutor Institute training will be held at the Holiday Inn in Lynchburg. Breakfast, lunch, and periodic refreshments will be provided. The registration rate is $60 for day one, $85 for both days. Scholarship funding is available. The Conference Planning Committee is currently seeking continuing education credits for various disciplines. For more details on registration, scholarships, and continuing education credits, please visit http://tinyurl.com/strangulationconf2014 or www.vsdvalliance.org.